Phone: (405) 974-5565work
Dr. Leon joined the College of Business in 2016. He teaches several undergraduate courses including Introduction to Management, Strategic Compensation, Diversity and Cross-Cultural Management, and Legal Issues in HR. In 2017, he joined the MBA faculty to teach Leading People in Organizations and to supervise MBA Integrative Projects. His research interests include employee well-being and stress, performance enhancement and social exchange. Dr. Leon has published articles in outlets such as Leadership Quarterly, Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management, and Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- 2015 – Ph.D. in Business Administration, University of Alabama
- 2012 – M.S. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of West Florida
- 2009 – B.A. in Psychology, Auburn University
- Leon, M.R., Osborn, H., & Bellairs, T. Processing War: Similarities and differences in PTSD antecedents and outcomes between military and civilian war survivors. Conditional acceptance: Research in Occupational Stress and Well-Being.
- Harms, P.D., Crede, M., Tynan, M., Leon, M.R., Jeung, W. (2017) Leadership and stress: a meta-analytic review. Leadership Quarterly.
- Leon, M. R., Halbesleben, J. R., & Paustian-Underdahl, S. C. (2015). A dialectical perspective on burnout and engagement. Burnout Research, 2(2), 87-96.
- Leon, M. R., & Halbesleben, J. R. B. (2015). Coworker responses to observed mistreatment: understanding schadenfreude in the response to supervisor abuse. Research in Occupational Stress and Well-Being.
- Bellairs, T., Halbesleben, J. R., & Leon, M. R. (2014). A multilevel model of strategic human resource implications of employee furloughs. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 32, 99-146.
- Halbesleben, J. R., Leroy, H., Dierynck, B., Simons, T., Savage, G. T., McCaughey, D., & Leon, M. R. (2013). Living up to safety values in health care: The effect of leader behavioral integrity on occupational safety. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 18(4), 395.
- Wheeler, A. R., Shanine, K. K., Leon, M. R., & Whitman, M. V. (2013). Student‐recruited samples in organizational research: A review, analysis, and guidelines for future research. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 87(1), 1-26.
- Taylor, M. K., Pietrobon, R., Taverniers, J., Leon, M. R., & Fern, B. J. (2013). Relationships of hardiness to physical and mental health status in military men: a test of mediated effects. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 36(1), 1-9.
- Cameron, J. M., Leon, M. R., & Correia, C. J. (2011). Extension of the simulated drinking game procedure to multiple drinking games. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 19(4), 295 – 302. doi: 10.1037/a0024312
Selected Works in Progress
- Leon, M.R., Harms, P.D., & Gilmer, L. Pharmaceutical cognitive enhancer (PCE) use in the workplace: the open secret of performance enhancement. Revise and resubmit at Journal of Management Inquiry.
- Leon, M.R., Lowman, G., McKee, V., & Leon, M.A. It’s who you are, not what you say: voter perceptions after isolating U.S. presidential candidates’ rhetorical style from identity. Target: Social Psychology and Personality Science.
- Leon, M.R. Exchange without return: helping behaviors in positive and negative reciprocity exchange relationships over time. Target: Journal of Applied Psychology.